- Held concert to spread message of hope, in these times there is a great amount of fear. To help bring a voice of prophetic hope we put together a concert with hopeful music
- Worked to ensure families were able to access energy in the Covid Time
- Advocated at the Nebraska Legislature, Lincoln Electric System, and Omaha Public Power District
- Supported the Omaha Public Power District’s goal of zero net carbon by 2050, investment in 600 MW of wind and retiring its North Omaha coal plant, which will reduce carbon emissions by more than 3 million tons every year. This is a major positive step in addressing the climate crisis.
- Coordinated the Nebraska Youth Climate Summit, bringing together a diverse group of more than 80 young people from across the state to learn about climate change, regenerative agriculture, environmental justice and ways to make their voices heard.
- Supported the Youth Climate Strikes, supporting their message of urgency in responding to the climate crisis.
- Supported legislation that established a healthy soils task force. Healthy soils are a vital tool in reducing the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere.
- Led a coalition protecting the rights of farmers, ranchers, and rural residents against environmental degradation by irresponsible neighbors.
- Sponsored Elders for the Earth, a Chautauqua for older people to learn about climate change and positive responses to it.
- Supported low income energy efficiency pilot projects by OPPD and LES.
- Supported We’re Still In, a message promoting local and state policy makers’ support for the Paris Climate Accord.
- Led a presentation about PACE (Property Assessed Clean Energy) an important financing tool for energy efficiency and renewable energy.
- Sponsored Let’s Drive Electric, an electric vehicle education and demonstration event.
Faith Advocacy on Public Policy Issues
- Support for LB 808, which would expand community gardens and support urban agriculture
- Support for the Husker Power Plan, an advocacy strategy with our public power districts to reduce energy use, increase renewable energy and retire coal plants with a five year goal of reducing greenhouse gas emissions statewide by 58 %.
- Begin process of advocating 100 % renewable energy for Lincoln Electric System.
- Presentation to Nebraska Ecumenical Legislative Network about faith and public policy responses to climate change
- Ken presented to Wachiska Audubon Society about solar energy
- Ken presented to Nebraskans for Solar about Nebraska IPL, faith advocacy and public policies
- Penny presented to Missouri Valley Presbytery about climate change
- Anica and Penny presented to Shepherd of the Hills church in Hickman about climate change and faith responses
- Anica, Penny, Ken and John presented to Vine Congregational in Lincoln about climate change impacts and faith responses
- Planning the 2018 Nebraska Youth Climate Summit
Faith Advocacy on public policy issues
- Support establishing a state climate action plan.
- Support state legislation to divest from fossil fuels.
- Support protecting land and water from impacts of the Keystone XL pipeline.
- Support for Property Assessed Clean Energy (PACE) legislation, a new financing mechanism for efficiency and renewable energy investments.
- Support using VW settlement funds for electric vehicles and EV infrastructure.
- Support study of climate change in Nebraska public education curriculum
- Support for Congressional representatives to take action on climate change.
- Oppose cuts to the Environmental Protection Agency and climate research.
- Community conversation with Matthew Anderson, climate director for the Audubon Society.
- Sponsor of the Nebraska Youth Climate Summit.
- Sponsor of the Nebraska Climate March.
- Sponsor of Elders for the Earth
- Hosted electric vehicle education events
Helping congregations reduce their carbon footprint
- Hosted Cool Congregations event with Iowa IPL in Omaha
Do you like this page?